Trouble with snares

Welcome to the StantonMoore.com forum.

Moderator: stanton

Trouble with snares

Postby lovethemGretsch » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:51 am

Hi Stanton -

Snare Drum Line-up Small 02.jpg
Snare Drum Line-up Small 02.jpg (168.85 KiB) Viewed 6557 times

This is the result of me seeking that classic snare sound that I hear on everyone's recordings; but every one of these just sounds like an old steam locomotive chugging up a hill (with the snares on), I find myself playing with them off, and it sounds good then. I've tried tightening the snare tension, loosening it, different wires, moon-gels, different heads ...etc. Still not satisfied.

Ever since listening to you on Witch Doctor with the snares Off, I find the sound of mine On to be annoying ...

Do you think that a free trial of your new Titanium snare would solve it ??? (Please say yes !!)

Anyways - Love your playing, and keep up the good work !!!
Last edited by lovethemGretsch on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovethemGretsch

Re: Trouble with snares

Postby lovethemGretsch » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:16 am

Lately the cheapo Ludwig Rocker has spent the most time on the stand ... it seems to have the best snap.
lovethemGretsch

Postby lovethemGretsch » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:01 pm

- Finally getting somewhere now; with enough patience and futzing around with tuning I got them all to shape up and sound presentable. It helps to know what each individual drum is supposed to sound like (given it's composition and depth).
lovethemGretsch

Postby loudwizard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:00 pm

what are all of those? I recognize the Acrolite, but I'm terrible at recognizing most snares.
what's the one on the left with the offset lugs?

I've been thinking of splashing out on a new snare soon...
maybe Stanton's snare, or really go all out and grab a Joyful Noise brass.
loudwizard

Postby lovethemGretsch » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:30 am

- Thanks for asking ... the clear one on the left is a Zickos Phantom Series, but I changed out the lug casings with ones from an old British Ajax snare 'cuz I liked them better. Next to that is a Ludwig Rocker - Chrome over steel ($50), then the original Gretsch COB snare that came with my kit back in 1970. The WMP one is a Slingerland Artist model (3 Ply Maple) which has a real nice "woody" sound. Then the good 'ol Acrolite on the right; which everyone should have as an All-Purpose snare.
lovethemGretsch

Postby R.J.Lambert » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 am

I also play with a slingerland 3ply snare from the 60's. It always sounds great. I have Evans heads on it; An orchestral head on top (thin and dark) and I got a set of grover snares (I think they were the jazz dark ones) which make it nice and sensitive. I love it. My rolls sound so much better! and the orchestral head really feels great with brushes. The only downside to this setup is that it's so dark that it doesn't cut through much... The rimshots do, with those old chrome over brass rims, but that's about it. It's my recording/jazz setup. For all other styles I use a yamaha birch custom snare with evans heads. I think I could put any heads on that drum and it would sound great. It's not very exciting or unique as far as brands go, but it's the most versatile thing I've ever owned. It sings.
R.J.Lambert

Postby lovethemGretsch » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi R.J. - How deep is your Yammie Birch ?
What finish on the Slingy ?
- Got any pictures ???
Thanks
lovethemGretsch

Postby stanton » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:47 pm

hey lovethemgretsch, i would say, buy the jeff ocheltree video. he was the drum tech for john bonham. he goes into great detail about how they tuned bonham's drums and how to tne drums in general.
try putting a coated emporer on top of your 6.5 ludwig rocker with a snare side ambassador on the bottom. tune it as jeff demonstrates, tight bottom... fairly tight top. this tuning works great for the bonham stuff, but great for the new orleans and buzz roll stuff too. start by using whatever snares you still have on the drum. see what you get with that.
next take your acrolyte, put a coated ambassador on top and a snare side ambassador on the bottom. tune both heads almost as high as they they will go, with the bottom tuned higher than the top (be careful not to pop the bottom head). put a wallet on the snare and play along to your favorite james brown and meters tunes, and try to get the drum to emulate the sound on the records.
the gretsch COB drum you have is a killer drum. try tuning that, tight bottom... fairly right top and experiment with the tension on the top.
make sure your tension is even all around on all your lugs, top and bottom on all drums.
make sure the bottom head is tight on all the drums. be careful not to over tighten or over loosen the snare wires on all the drums
let me know if that helps. sm
stanton

Postby lovethemGretsch » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:17 am

Thanks Stanton -

Had to get an Emperor head for the Rocker, I think my problem with that was a worn-out batter - 'Cuz it sounds great now !!

I took the Gretsch apart and found that the snare beds were in bad shape (literally), looked like they were crimped over with a pair of channel-locks ! It made a bulge on the sides so that the counter-hoop of the head was distorted, must've been a bad day at the factory ...
Hated to do it, but I massaged them over to get it back in-round (don't tell anyone ... you can't see the work), and now it is very responsive even at low, jazz type volume. Got an un-solicited compliment on how authentic it sounds from a fellow drummer !

So; I'm getting there, and can concentrate more on technique now and not anguishing over the sound so much.

- Thanks for your responses, it means a lot to get advice from the Best !!!!!
lovethemGretsch

Postby loudwizard » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:03 am

hey fellas, wanna revive this thread to say I've picked up a couple of snares lately
and am amazed at how a new snare can freshen your perspective and really add fun to the kit!

nothing too fancy in my hands right now - a keystone acrolite and what, for me, has to be the best value of any drum I've ever bought - a 1970 Slingerland Krupa Sound King COB. these are dirt cheap and really sing.

I'm pretty excited about the 6.5x14 maple Gretsch that is coming with the set of USA Customs I have on the way, too!

is that a pretty girl or what? I went to sleep last night with visions of champagne sparkle dancing in my head...
loudwizard

Postby lovethemGretsch » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:51 pm

Wow Loud ! -

That is a beautiful kit !!! It's got Stanton written all over it ! Is that a 24 or 26" Bass ?
Sounds like you have a nice selection of snares started too ... They all have their purpose.
- At least that's what I tell the Budget Director !
lovethemGretsch

Postby loudwizard » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:33 am

thanks, LTG!

it's a 26" bass. dimensions are 14x26" kick, 9x13" rack, 16x16" floor, and the 6.5x14 maple snare. I've played Ludwigs for a long time, but I decided a while back that I wanted to get a kit with toms that were a little more bright and melodic, and the first thing that sprang to mind was Gretsch. I'm a little nervous, though - I have a couple of friends who've owned Gretsch kits who had problems with the toms being overly fussy. both of them are 2B gorilla bashers like me, and super hard hitting and 30 degree bearing edges don't necessarily mix well together. I've been making an effort to play more dynamically lately, though, and spend a lot less time at fortissimo. I've been trying to find some smaller sticks, too, using the David Garibaldi sigs right now, but the search isn't over.

And yeah, fun snares! I've been using Tama brass and steel snares for a while, it's fun to get back in the mix. of course I've had an acrolite before, but never a nice keystone one. I think I have the fever! either a Craviotto or a DW Edge is next, depending on how I like the Gretsch snare.
loudwizard

Postby lovethemGretsch » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:23 pm

You might want to try some of Stanton's Vic Firth sticks ... nice and light for quick stuff, and a tiny bit longer than average for good balance.

What kind of ride with this setup ?
lovethemGretsch

Postby loudwizard » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:09 am

I've tried Stanton's sticks, actually - I like our benefactor's playing so much I wanted to at least see what he was working with - but they were just much too small. the length was ok, but the diameter just felt wrong in my hands. I actually just bought a pair of Vic Firth Extreme 5Bs last night and I think that's going to do it. 5B diameter (and Vic Firth 5B is smaller than most other 5Bs) with an extra 1/2 inch of length. I'll still do my rudimental practice with 2Bs, though, and if I can get away with 'em on the Gretsch, I will!

I use large cymbals. Anything under 18" just sounds like noise in the mix to me in all of the settings in which I currently play. Right now I use a lot of the Paiste Giant Beats - main ride is the 24" model, and use the 18" and 20" as crashes, although I ride both of them, too. for hats I go between 15" 2002 SE and 14" Paiste Signature Medium. I'm a sucker for Paiste's CuSn8 alloy.

You?
loudwizard

Postby lovethemGretsch » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:06 am

I have a 22" Paiste 2002 Reg Ride ... kinda loud though, so I have a couple of Moon Gels on it. I like it's classic ping sound. Would rather have a Bosphorus SM 22 ! ( saving up for ) - Then I use a 17" Sabian Virgil Donati saturation crash as a "drone" sound to make up for the missing complexity that the Bosphy would impart ( 'sorta dance back and forth between the two ). The Paiste bell isn't too pronounced, so I have my old Zildjian 20" ride ( one rivet) nearby for that. - Hey, ya gotta make do with what you got !!!
It sounds pretty close to his stuff, just a lot more work !
lovethemGretsch

Next

Return to General Discussion